General Position Summary
As a member of the product development team, the scientist independently evaluates, selects and applies standardized scientific procedures and techniques to both research and product development initiatives associated with any of Sakura’s anatomic pathology product lines. Within defined objectives, procedures, and practices, provides technical and scientific expertise and exercises judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications to existing products/procedures. As such, the successful candidate is expected to learn the function and operation of all Sakura instrument systems, tissue fixation, processing, embedding, sectioning, and staining. The candidate must be able to collate data and write up results in a clear and concise manner.
The technical experience required for this position includes (at least some) of the following areas: microtomy, immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence, in situ hybridization, nucleic acid purification and analysis, protein purification, protein conjugation, chromatography, software testing, immunoassays, and formulation of reagents.
Performance in this position requires development experience in a professional position, or equivalent graduate level education. Works independently with minimal supervision.
Essential Job Functions
- Participates in, and contributes significantly to, experimental design; applies critical thinking and works independently.
- Executes experimental protocols and authors reports detailing procedures, outcomes, and observations.
- Facilitates technology/reagent development and transfer processes.
- Prepares reagents and tissues.
- Operates and maintains laboratory equipment.
- Follows GLP Guidelines.
- Works in a multi-disciplined scientific environment.
- Engages in design and testing of software, reagents, and instrumentation.
- Provides trouble-shooting for reagent, instrument, or software related problems.
- Processes tissues and performs staining of tissue sections.
- Is in compliance with all applicable environmental, health, and safety regulations.
- Contributes to the company’s patent applications or development of proprietary technology/reagent formulations; writes and files patent applications as warranted.
- Works with all functions within the Sakura group to launch new products.
- Participates on product development teams, task forces, audits, and business/technical meetings.
- Writes department specific SOPs and protocols.
- Provides technical advice to internal and external customers.
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned.
Quality/Business Systems Activities
- Adheres to Good Laboratory Practice (GLP).
- Ensures compliance with all applicable environmental, health, and safety regulations.
Information Management & Reporting Activities
- Provides clear and concise technical information in experimental notebooks.
- Keeps senior management informed by creating meaningful summaries of developmental results.
- Interacts with supervisor and team members in a professional and proactive manner.
- Must be able to generate, interpret, and present technical data to meet customer requirements.
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree in cell biology, immunology, biochemistry, or relevant scientific discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
A Master of Science degree is preferred.
Experience & Minimum Qualifications
- 3-5 years of laboratory experience (may be in the academic setting).
- Preference is given to experience in the medical device, pharmaceutical, or FDA regulated laboratory environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in molecular methodologies such as isolation of DNA/RNA from cells/tissues and the sequencing and analysis of the isolation products.
- Experience in the areas of pathology, immunohistochemistry/immunofluorescence, in situ hybridization, histology, biotechnology, and reagent optimization is a plus.
- Preference given to candidates with product development/design control/IVD experience.
- Requires clear and concise verbal and written communication skills, good technical writing skills, and good computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.).
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills.
Physical Requirements & Working Environment
- This position requires the employee to work in a laboratory environment. It involves frequent walking, standing, and sitting. In addition, the employee is required to use their hands and fingers and to reach with their hands and arms.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to successfully respond to multiple work pressures.
- Requires reading, math, analyzing and drawing conclusions from data; developing and implementing methodologies/plans/processes for accomplishing a goal.
Affirmative Action Employer
Equal Opportunity Employer Veterans / Disabled