General Position Summary
Under the supervision of the Director of Accounting, this position is responsible for assigned duties in payroll activities and some general accounting and administrative functions. Work responsibilities include performing a variety of payroll, accounting, administrative and clerical support work, applying accepted office procedures to the preparation and maintenance of payroll/accounting records, and preparing payroll reports for internal & external purposes.
Essential Job Functions
Accounting Support Activities
- Computes and analyzes a variety of payroll information in order to maintain accurate records of Company payroll activities, including 401(k) Plan, Workers Compensation Reports, Paid time off accrual, budget and other payroll related reports.
- Assists in the reconciliation of Payroll and related GL accounts and Payroll Bank accounts.
- Prepares, enters and computes various payroll data into the computer system for processing and reporting purposes.
- Reviews worked hours and time-off benefits used and entered in the Paychex Flex Time & Attendance system by employees and makes appropriate corrections/adjustments in accordance to Company policies.
- Maintains and ensures accuracy of time off accrual balances of employees.
- Processes bi-weekly payroll, quarterly sales incentives, and annual bonus in automated payroll processing software.
- Handles maintenance of 401(k) plan administration, HCA forms and workers’ compensation.
- Assists in the preparation and filing of federal and state payroll tax returns when needed.
- Prepares statistical reports and payroll reports in compliance with appropriate government agencies and Company Auditors.
- Processes garnishment orders and complies with government agencies withholding orders.
- Responds to employees’ inquiries regarding changes in payroll and provides research and back-up information as needed.
- Assists the department with any assignments on an as-needed basis.
- Assists in processing of accounts payable and accounts receivable on computer system.
- Enters various accounting data into computer system.
- Prepares and calculates the total incoming checks for deposit and coordinates detailed handling.
- Maintains a variety of accounting information and assists with tax preparation and filings.
- Interfaces with other Departments to resolve AR issues with customers or AP issues with vendors.
- Responds to customer/vendor inquiries regarding invoices and provides research and back-up information as needed.
- Assists in the preparation and filing of state and local sales tax returns when needed.
- Retrieves requested supporting documents and related accounting reports.
- Assists the Department with any assignments on an as needed basis.
Administrative Support Activities
- Provides administrative & clerical support to the CFO-SVP of Finance & IT, Director of Accounting & to the Sr. Director of IT, including maintenance of files & records; responding to inquiries via telephone, email, or regular mail; and sending out various payroll data/reports as directed.
- Provides clerical support within the department, including filing, typing, mail processing, photocopying, faxing and arranging departmental meetings.
- Places orders for office supplies and computer accessories and other miscellaneous items for office purposes.
- Assists in business travel arrangements for CFO/SVP and other Accounting & IT personnel.
- Prepares and completes business expenses reports.
- Handles petty cash and accounts for receipts and disbursements.
- Organizes and performs filing of current files and assists in archiving old files.
- Seeks constant improvement with desk procedures, work processes and implementation techniques.
- Maintains good communications both inside and outside of the Company.
- Participates in the monthly and annual closing of accounting periods and in the annual budgeting process.
- Compiles statistics and prepares various reports for management.
- Maintains confidentiality of payroll information.
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned by Company management.
Associates degree in Accounting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience & Minimum Qualifications
- 2-3 years’ experience with an Automated Payroll Processing system.
- Ability to use and input data on a computerized ledger.
- Knowledge and experience in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and business writing skills.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, and percentages.
- Ability to apply common sense to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills. Ability to get along well with diverse personalities. Must be tactful, mature, flexible, and able to keep confidential company information.
- Ability to understand accounting and/or financial processes, methodologies and concepts.
- Ability to type 45 wpm.
- Ability to organize files, documents & accounting records.
- Ability to gather data and retrieve files needed by the department.
Physical Requirements & Working Environment
- This position requires the employee to frequently sit. In addition, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers and reach with hands and arms.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
- Ability to read and analyze hard written copy and information on a computer screen.
- Ability to successfully respond to multiple work pressures.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing to individuals and groups.
- Ability to communicate verbally in person and over the telephone.
- Ability to listen for understanding and assisting in problem solving.
- Ability to drive to the bank, post office, or other locations. Must have a valid Driver's License and access to a car.
Affirmative Action Employer
Equal Opportunity Employer